“A lot of companies are laying off their employees. So, there will be enough talent pool available for us. And we can easily hire a good talent no matter the quality of the JD.” I couldn’t disagree more!
Do you think the selectors at FC Barcelona or Indian cricket team have this perspective? Ofcourse, not! They do not create the JD but they know exactly what they are looking for!
Hiring a good talent is a highly underrated talent, even in 2024. And all those Linkedin ‘Hiring Now’ profiles, well, 90% of them have NO CLUE what they are looking for.
Plus, in case someone joins, the employer is not sure if the hired professional is going to fit in with the environment. For god’s sake, you want someone to spend 1.3 of their 5 days with you! How can you not ask that?
And… I can tell you with utmost confidence that a majority of the people who are hiring, are just expecting 1 person to do every thing! If you have professional experience of anything more than 2 years, you already know what I am talking about.
i have hired and fired hundreds of professionals. And a lot of them were from elite colleges and universities across the globe. In today’s era, these colleges, although create a higher pedestal for the professionals, but they are NOT a barometer of what you want!
Knowing what I know after 10+ years of experience, there is one thing I will NOT do.
Hire a wrong talent!!
Document your ideal candidate profile before making a Job Description
The day I am writing this, it is February 8, 2024. I have been working as a purely freelance marketing consultant for almost 1.5 years. Before this, I had a full-time job. So, within this time, I have 3 permanent clients for Yersong Digital, my marketing strategy consultancy. And now that I have quarterly and yearly contracts with 3 clients, I am in a position, in terms of cash flow that I can hire a full-time employee. But the first question that came to my mind when I planned that was – WHO?
And the answer was in the documentation. What I wanted this resource for? Once I created this document, I knew I wanted a Marketing Manager.
In short, the manager will ensure that some of my low-priority tasks are taken care of. I will still be giving all the interviews because I like to do that! (Weird. Right? but seriously, I do!)
And then there are other tasks, which, to put it mildly, I would prefer NOT to do. So, the first step is to document the Ideal Candidate profile (ICP), i.e who do you need. And this is the preparation before you create the JD!
What you need to ensure in a JD?
All those who have hired anyone as a founder or an HR or TA professional knows one thing! Not every single applicant will read the JD. Especially if they are aware of the awesome job hunt tools available at their disposal in 2024.
In fact, majority of them will simply hit the ‘Easy Apply’ button on Linkedin and just get it done with.
But for those you shortlist, and want to interview, it is best to lay it all out in the JD. And when you share them the link or file, you can be 100% sure that they WILL go through it! That is your chance to make your impression as a cool employer! Or showcase your company culture and your working environment.
So, the answer is very simple. Your JD MUST have the EXACT expectations you have from your candidate, and what they can have from you.
Example of JD for Marketing Operations Manager – The Template
This is line-by-line the very JD I will be using to hire my Marketing operations manager.
Feel free to copy it and customize it as per your requirements, and happy talent hunting!
FULL TIME POSITION. SALARY: ₹50,000 per month
- 6 months-appraisal cycle
Office Timings: 10 AM – 7 PM IST
Office Location: 200 metres from Raj Bagh metro station (Red line)
- 80% Work From Home (WFH). Other times:
- Bars/ Pubs
- Coffee shops
- Work from Destinations (obviously, sponsored)
- Maybe once in a while, office!
What you will be getting:
- MacBook Air M1
- 24-inch Samsung monitor
- LogiTech MX Master 3S
- Apple AirPods 2nd gen
Now that I got your attention, let’s talk about work!
You should NOT apply if:
- You are not able to calendarize your time as per the daily/weekly tasks.
- You wait for follow-ups to be taken instead of you sharing the update first.
- You are not good at the art of small talk.
- You are not a die-hard podcast listener and/or documentary enthusiast.
- You don’t like parties.
TIP to get selected (Some interview questions you will be asked. Only those would know who have read the JD and not applied blindly 😅)
- 5 new MarTech tools you explored recently, and which one is your favorite?
Tools we use for MarkOps (for Candidate’s information purposes only):
- Slack for communications
- Notion for documentation
- HubSpot CRM
- Google Sheets (because clients prefer them)
- Google Sheet (if you have used vlookup function for at least 10 projects, you’ve got it!)
- Marketing Workflow and Automation experience using either CRMs or automation tools like Zapier/ Make/ Integromately
- Experience with AI tools like MS Copilot, Adobe Firefly and Copy.ai
- Google Slides/ Canva/ Figma (for PPT/ presentations)
What we are looking for?
- 3+ years of experience in marketing operations and inbound marketing.
- 3+ years of experience in B2B lead generation.
- Someone who knows the art of AI prompting.
- Effective oral and written business English.
- Top-notch email etiquette, just for clients.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Experience with podcast production and content marketing.
Looking for a data-driven, organized, and strategic thinker who can manage marketing operations.
Yersong Digital is seeking a talented Marketing Operations Manager to join our growing team. As a marketing operations manager, you will play a vital role in supporting our mission to help B2B businesses achieve their marketing goals.
About Yersong Digital:
We are a passionate team of marketing experts dedicated to helping B2B companies grow through strategic consultation. This includes helping them with client acquisition, and retention and assisting them to optimize their productivity.
We offer a unique blend of data-driven insights, creative thinking, and practical ROI-driven marketing roadmap implementation, all delivered with a client-centric and holistic approach.
What you will do:
Client Acquisition and Management:
- Manage and execute lead generation campaigns for anoopyersong.com, driving new clients to our B2B marketing consultation services.
- Analyze campaign performance data and recommend optimizations for improved results.
- Manage day-to-day client-related operations:
- Assist the chief consultant with client management.
- Prepare marketing-related documents for clients.
- Lead the production and publication of our weekly podcast – Market Pod, including planning, guest coordination, content creation, editing, and promotion.
- Track content performance and make data-driven adjustments for improvement.
- Update Notion and HubSpot CRM on a real-time basis.
- Implement and manage marketing automation tools and processes.
- Oversee the MarTech (marketing technology) stack and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Maintain and analyze marketing data to measure performance and provide insights.
- Coordinate with freelancers and external agencies/ partners.
- Support other marketing team members with operational needs.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest marketing trends and technologies.
- Proactively identify and recommend new growth opportunities.
If you are excited about helping B2B businesses grow and thrive, we encourage you to apply!
No agencies, please.
PS: Here is the LinkedIn Job Post link for those who want to verify!